2018 was quite the year for me. By extension, it was quite the year for Casting Across.
Let me begin by saying thank you. I am always humbled and a little surprised that thousands of people want to read what I have to say about things like fly rods or using the sense of smell while fishing. I’ve said it before – I write because I want to write. But I also truly enjoy sharing with others who are passionate about getting outdoors and spending their time fly fishing.
On the last day of the calendar, I wanted to share how people have read, liked, and contributed over the past year.
Here were 3 highlights of 2018 on Casting Across:
The 3 Most Read Posts These posts got the most clicks in 2018.
- Why You Never Go Fly Fishing Alone This is my letter to my friends in the fly fishing industry. I’ve come to appreciate the amount of love, labor, and loss that comes with truly striving to make something for fly fishers. In my opinion, seeing the link between people and things is important for anglers to realize.
- The Perfect Small Stream Fly Rod? I don’t want to pigeonhole myself, but I am a small stream fly fisher. Whether it be mountain streams or spring creeks, I truly enjoy the whole experience. You can catch fish in these places with any fly rod. But the perfect fly rod will make the experience much, much better.
- My Top Fly Fishing Podcasts This post has remained a highlight for the site for over three years. It was the first of nearly a dozen posts regarding podcasts. The medium, the 21st century version of radio, is a natural fit for fly fishing conversations. Check out how the whole podcast thing started on Casting Across.
The 3 Most Liked Pictures These Instagram posts (pictured above) got the most likes in 2018.
- The first is a little artificial, because it is tied to a contest where I was soliciting posts. That being said, it is clear that fly fishers love gear and are willing to tap their phone to try and get some.
- The second is a recipe for likes. Trout, mountains, water, and an angler. My first high country trip for cutthroats is a great memory.
- Third, a brook trout in the White Mountains. I love this picture, and it has become the header image on the site and in my social media.
The 3 Other Things
- As I mentioned above, I enjoy the people behind the things in the fly fishing industry. In 2018 I was able to spend quality time with friends from Vedavoo and Risen Fly… fishing, even! I also had great conversations with Jacob & Jillian from Between Two Banks, Cortney from Blue Halo, Jay from Finest Fly Tying Benches, Brian & Pete from Postfly, Abbie from Kismet Outfitters, Ben from The Fly Fishing Show, and Luke from Riversmith. There are many, many more great people and companies that I’ve been thankful to work with or just talk to in 2018.
- In just the last month, 2018 saw the introduction of the Casting Across Fly Fishing Podcast! I like the idea of offering up Casting Across content in a different medium. Admittedly I have no clue what I am doing. But I’m interested in seeing where this goes.
- Baby #4 snuck into 2018 at the 11th hour. I am so blessed and thankful for my growing family.
Happy New Year from Casting Across!